- This event has passed.
THE WESTERN SOCIETY OF PERIODONTOLOGY CHICAGO, IL HYGIENE AND PERIODONTAL EXCELLENCE FOR ANY DENTAL PRACTICE
May 6 @ 7:30 am - 3:30 pm
Katrina M. Sanders, RDH, BSDH, M.Ed, RF
Pockets, Paradigms and Protocols: A Revolutionary Approach to Precision Periodontics
Despite our best efforts to study, treat and manage diseases of the periodontium, research continues to indicate increasing prevalence of oral inflammatory conditions, unpack challenges with our existing protocols and challenge the dental profession with paradigm shifts. The ‘gold standard’ of periodontal disease management is pivoting as patients are looking to non-invasive approaches to safely, efficiently and definitively treat disease and subsequently promote health. The ever-changing environment of health care delivery is now focusing on the convergence of precision medicine, implementation science and learning health care system studies to synergistically improve clinical health outcomes. While our medical colleagues have adapted these paradigm shifts into avant-garde approaches to patient care, dentistry is now called upon to become part of this trailblazing movement. Join periodontal hygienist and international speaker Katrina M Sanders as she discusses a revolutionary concept of ‘Precision Periodontics’, critically examining the current landscape of oral inflammation with a deep focus on contemporary interventions aimed to transform non-invasive care for the periodontal patient, improve clinical outcomes and optimize management of periodontal diseases.
• Define implementation science and identify how this emerging discipline is focusing treatment strategies
• Discuss precision medicine and the evidence-based interventions available to improve clinical outcomes
• Examine the learning health care system and its influence on health care delivery systems
• Evaluate paradigm shifts in the provision of periodontics and the trends in inflammatory management for the dental professional
• Review the results of optimal therapy in a non-invasive approach to treating periodontal disease
• Examine case selection in integrating an early and precise approach to advanced periodontics
• Discuss anti-inflammatory products for the adjunctive treatment of periodontitis
Sherri M. Lukes, RDH, MS, FAADH
Medical History Front and Center – Oral Manifestations of Systemic Conditions
Completing a thorough medical history is an imperative step in the dental process of care. An examination of oral lesions that are manifestations of systemic diseases will be discussed in this course. Expand your reasoning as we look at lesions and oral changes, deciphering the systemic conditions they are evidence of. Etiology, clinical appearance, and treatment options of both common and uncommon conditions are included, emphasizing interdisciplinary collaboration with other health professionals. Dental professionals with keen eyes for these lesions/changes and the conditions they are associated with can elevate both patient and employer appreciation.
• Upon completion of the session, participants will be able to:
• Discuss the importance of current oral pathology knowledge when conducting intra/extra-oral exams.
• Describe oral symptoms of various systemic conditions as presented in cases.
• Compare/contrast lesions that can be considered in a differential diagnosis for each pathologic entity.
Kandra Sellers, RDH, BA
Medical Billing, Get Paid As A Medical Specialist!
We all know there is a link between the oral health and the rest of your body. If that is the reality, we should be billing many of our procedures as a medical specialist to medical carriers. After all, your patients have benefits for many of the things you do every day in your practice. This course you will help develop an understanding of WHY you would want to incorporate Medical Billing into your practice. Gain the knowledge of what procedures, you perform every day in your practice, can be billed too medical. Grasp the difference between dental and medical insurance, how they differ and how you can collect up to your full fee, decreasing write-offs.
This is the course that will show you the ROI and the value that medical billing can bring to your practice as well as increased case acceptance by giving your patients another way to pay for the treatment that they need and want. If you have tried this and it has failed, DO NOT give up, it does work! No matter your specialty in this industry if you are ready to shift your mindset of being “just a dentist”, to that of a medical specialist you will want to attend this course.
• Identify what procedures can you bill to Medical
• Understand the financial and marketing opportunities with Medical Billing
• Decrease the patients out of pocket expense… their dental benefits are limited!
• Increase case acceptance
• Understand what you need to implement in order to be successful